Here is a monotype I created in a Beginning Printmaking class. I was intimidated by the creation of monotypes and found myself frustrated in trying to create something I genuinely liked. After a lot of trial and error I ended up making this piece, which in the end I was really happy with.
This was my piece for a body casting assignment where we learned how to make molds and cast plaster. I was really intrigued by the crazy amount of detail you can achieve so I wanted to do a somewhat larger body part and put it in more of an uncomfortable way to really get people to look at the details. I painted the feet a skin color and found a shelf that the feet could rest on.
This is one of my favorite pieces I did this summer working on my Research Grant through St. Norbert College. After carefully reviewing images of my family and scanning them in to enhance details that weren’t as visible on the photo itself, I was very happy with the end result of this piece.
I chose a photo of my grandma as a baby being held by her father (who is my great-grandpa). I was intrigued by the highlights of his shirt in contrast with the intense folds in the clothes of both figures. I really wanted to make those stand out within the piece so that it would compliment the simplistic backgrounds which I use throughout most of my pieces.